- Greens push for overseas marriagePosted 3 days ago
- AFL pride campaign is “bullying”Posted 4 days ago
- Brazilian court ruling allows gay marriagesPosted 4 days ago
- Minnesota passes marriage equality billPosted 5 days ago
- Marriage rally draws sombre talePosted 6 days ago
- Marriage bill a stunt: Rainbow LaborPosted 9 days ago
- Take two: Marriage bill back to ParliamentPosted 10 days ago
- Another US state gets marriage equalityPosted 11 days ago
- Rainbow Army takes on Newcastle mayorPosted 12 days ago
- Mixed messages on marriage free vote?Posted 12 days ago
A year of coming out caught on camera
Jimmy Hales posted the video to his personal blog and described his experience coming out as a Mormon.
“At this point, me being gay it not such a big deal to me or those close around me,” he wrote.
“I believe, with time, it won’t as big a deal to all members of the church either. They just need opportunity to think about it, so here I am posting about it.”
Last year, the Mormon Church unveiled a website dedicated to starting a “discussion” on people with “same-sex attraction”.
“Though we don’t know everything, we know enough to be able to say that same-sex attraction is not itself sin,” Mormon Elder Todd Christofferson says in a video on the site.
“The feeling, the desire is not classified the same as homosexual behavior itself.”
The site also features testimonials from people who claim to have “found” a heterosexual life after fighting with same-sex attraction.
The Mormon Church was one of the major proponents of California’s Proposition 8 ballot measure which led to same-sex marriage laws being wound back in the state.
“There will always be a certain stigma attached to it to some degree, for living a lonely celibate mortal life is a taste of hell, and the possibility that a person might ‘fall away’ is always possible,” Hales said on his blog.
“If you know someone who has fallen away, please try to understand that they’ve been through hell, and that they’ve probably gone through hell all by themselves with little or no help. Please love them.”
Watch his video below: