- Wyatt Roy announces equal marriage supportPosted 20 hours ago
- Scouts partially drop gay banPosted 1 day ago
- Police call for tougher hate crime sentencingPosted 3 days ago
- Rudd reverses gay marriage positionPosted 4 days ago
- Gay-friendly businesses celebratedPosted 5 days ago
- Greens push for overseas marriagePosted 9 days ago
- AFL pride campaign is “bullying”Posted 10 days ago
- Brazilian court ruling allows gay marriagesPosted 10 days ago
- Minnesota passes marriage equality billPosted 11 days ago
- Marriage rally draws sombre talePosted 12 days ago
Show us your hits!
Sydney Mardi Gras is without doubt the biggest and most visible LGBTI event in Australia, and it hosts some of the biggest queer dance events in the nation too. With the party season in full swing we asked some of our biggest and coolest DJ names for their 2013 music hit predictions and what they’ll be playing on dancefloors to make us move. Here’s what they had to say:
DJ Kam Shafaati
One of the newer DJ names and one that is particularly loved by the bear scene, this awesome DJ’s career has skyrocketed over the past few years. Kam Shafaati quickly went from local gigs to playing some of the biggest gay events in the nation and more recently internationally.
What he’s known for playing: House / Progressive / Techno / Trance / Chill-out / Minimal
Currently working on / Coming Up: Kam and his partner in crime, Aurelius, have started our own production company and brand new dance party called ‘THICK ‘N’ JUICY’ (The Laird, VIC Labour Day – 11 March 2013). But in the meantime you can look out for him playing a stack of gigs in Sydney during Mardi Gras including Underbear, T-Time, Animal Farm and Extra Dirty.
Kam Shafaati’s top 5 hit predictions for 2013 are:
1. Nicky Romero & Avicii – I Could Be the One(Original Mix)
2. The Aston Shuffle & Tommy Trash – Sunrise (Won’t Get Lost) (Tommy Trash Version)
3. Alex Kenji & Manuel De La Mare – Get What You Give (Original Mix)
4. Rihanna – Diamonds (Congorock Remix Extended)
5. Bruno Mars – Locked Out Of Heaven (Sultan & Ned Shepard Remix)
This massive international DJ name originally hails from the UK. Wayne G is a regular visitor to Australia, has remixed tracks for some of the biggest names in music, and is a regular at some of the world’s biggest gay parties.
What he’s known for playing: Huge Girly Anthems and the odd underground tune thrown in
Currently working on / Coming Up: Wayne is about to release a single – ‘With Or Without You’ – featuring Brian Kent on his digital label, Bennu Recordings. He is also just about to remix Australian band Mystery Blonde’s new single (AKA Dan Murphy and Co) and finishing up the remixes on Katy Tiz and the new Rihanna. Look out for him at Mardi Gras, the White Party (Palm Springs) and Coachella.
Wayne’s top 5 hit predictions for 2013 are:
1. Luciana – U B the Bass (Wayne G mix) 1. Luciana – U B the Bass (Wayne G mix)
2. Wayne G feat Debby Holiday ‘Dive ‘13’
3. Icona Pop – ANYTHING BY THEM!
4. Freemasons feat Katherine Ellis – Tears In The Rain
5. Knife Party – ANYTHING BY THEM!
DJ Sveta is easily one of the most loved and respected DJ names in gay and lesbian Australia. She has a long association playing at Australia’s biggest and best gay parties, but also some of the best queer and underground events. Popular in the leather, art and queer scenes in particular, her music is sexy, dark and underground meets fun, wild and beat driven.
What she’s known for playing: Feel good filth and drama.
What she love to play right now: Fierce, bassy beats.
Currently working on / Coming Up: Being one of the most in-demand DJs around, you’ll see this lass a lot this Mardi Gras. Along with playing the Mardigrasland and Laneway parties, Sveta is music director and live presenter for Austereo’s Party People Mardi Gras radio broadcast. This March, Sveta is set to release a remix on Batty Bass Records for their New York Series: Johnny Dynell – Marie Montana (Sveta & Tokoloshe remix).
Sveta’s top 5 hit predictions for 2013 are:
1. Nick Harris – Situation (Redux Vocal)
2. Stereogamous feat. Shaun J. Wright – Face Love Anew (Kim Ann Foxman)
3. House of Stank – Beat and a Blur (Gavin Russom Remix)
4. The Carry Nation – This Bitch Is Alive (al b’s bitches before snitches mix)
5. Johnny Dynell – Marie Montana (Sveta & Tokoloshe Remix) (out in March)
DJ Matty Vaughn
Managing an seemingly impossible task of being alternative, pop and underground all at the same time with an unashamedly left-of-centre attitude, DJ Matty Vaughn brings his particular fun and distinctive indie dance direction to many events he runs on the Sydney scene, like Loose Ends and Feelings Fridays.
What he’s known for playing: House, disco, techno, electro, indie, pop, new wave and the incidental music from Desperately Seeking Susan.
What he loves to play right now: At Loose Ends he plays lots of new deep house tracks. At Feelings Friday he delves into lots of vaguely nostalgic new wave pop, disco and indie from his (and other people’s) record collections.
Currently working on / Coming Up: Matty’s always excited to play at his underground club night Loose Ends on Sunday nights at the Phoenix and it continues every week for the rest of summer. He also has Feelings Friday the first Friday of every month at Ginger’s Bar at the Oxford Hotel and very excitingly he was invited to bring the Feelings Friday vibe to the Sydney Festival’s Honda Festival Garden in Hyde Park each Friday night during Sydney Festival.
Matty’s top 5 hit predictions for 2013 are:
1. ‘Face Love Anew’ (feat. Shaun J. Wright) – Stereogamous
2. ‘I want you you you’ – Waze & Odyssey
3. ‘Return It’ (John Selway Remix) – Kim Ann Foxman
4. ‘Bump and Flex’ (Andre Crom Remix) – Leftwing & Kody
5. ‘& It Was U’ – How To Dress Well
PRESS PLAY: Check out Star Observer’s Ultimate Sydney Mardi Gras music video collection, featuring the hits of all the big names performing this year. Click here.