- Sydney gay politics overhaul?Posted 1 day ago
- Overseas recognition bill vote nearsPosted 2 days ago
- Bernardi doubles down on polygamy commentsPosted 2 days ago
- Intersex reforms pave way forwardPosted 3 days ago
- Australian Marriage Equality says Rudd better for reformPosted 6 days ago
- Police-gay relations under reviewPosted 6 days ago
- Midsumma returns to Alexandra GardensPosted 6 days ago
- AFL trans vilifiers ordered to participate in mediationPosted 7 days ago
- University stifles gay rights groupsPosted 7 days ago
- Tel Aviv gay centre shooting suspects appear in courtPosted 7 days ago
Tropfest kicks off with a gay kiss
Last year’s winner of Australia’s largest short film festival has had the honour of putting together the trailer for this year’s festival, and she has taken the opportunity to feature a sweet kiss between two men in it.
Alethea Jones (pictured) won last year’s Tropfest competition with her film Lemonade Stand, and the outspoken advocate for marriage equality and the LGBTI community decided to include the kiss as a small way of showing her support.
“The gay kiss was my idea when we were in pre-production. It was really vital for me to include that kiss. I wouldn’t have felt true as an artist if I’d have gone down the ‘Straight’ path,” Jones said.
The trailer tells the history of the humble balloon in a dark and spellbinding portrayal that Jones created during time off from working on multiple projects in L.A.
“I’ve gotten so much out of my win with Tropfest, making the trailer was just another fun way for me to be involved in this incredible event.”
Tropfest will be screened live across Australia on Sunday, February 17 with the major ceremony and winners announced at its Sydney home in the Domain.
You can watch the trailer below: