- Greens push for overseas marriagePosted 3 days ago
- AFL pride campaign is “bullying”Posted 4 days ago
- Brazilian court ruling allows gay marriagesPosted 4 days ago
- Minnesota passes marriage equality billPosted 6 days ago
- Marriage rally draws sombre talePosted 7 days ago
- Marriage bill a stunt: Rainbow LaborPosted 10 days ago
- Take two: Marriage bill back to ParliamentPosted 10 days ago
- Another US state gets marriage equalityPosted 12 days ago
- Rainbow Army takes on Newcastle mayorPosted 12 days ago
- Mixed messages on marriage free vote?Posted 13 days ago
Mimi and the gays
Mariah Carey has spoken to The Advocate about her connection with gay fans, the current trend of pop stars using homosexuality to promote their music and the prospect of giving birth to a gay child.
The Grammy Award winner, who recently announced she is pregnant with twins, told the magazine that gay men identify with her perspective as an outsider.
“I have songs about feeling different and alienated, because I grew up with my own issues, being biracial and not having money,” she said.
“Some of those lyrics can apply to anybody who feels different. My die-hard gay fans listen to songs like Outside and Close My Eyes (below), songs that most people wouldn’t know, and these songs have become anthemic for them for their own personal reasons.”
Interestingly, Mariah was asked for her opinion on pop stars like Ke$ha, Lady Gaga and Katy Perry who have flirted with bisexuality in their songs and videos – and expressed some skepticism.
“Maybe it’s more a reflection of society becoming more accepting. Some of those different artists might really be expressing themselves, but yes, some might just be looking for a little more attention. You never know.”
And as for the prospect of having a gay baby?
“I guess we’d handle it as best we could in terms of being supportive.”
Read the full interview at The Advocate.