- Sydney gay politics overhaul?Posted 18 hours ago
- Overseas recognition bill vote nearsPosted 2 days ago
- Bernardi doubles down on polygamy commentsPosted 2 days ago
- Intersex reforms pave way forwardPosted 3 days ago
- Australian Marriage Equality says Rudd better for reformPosted 6 days ago
- Police-gay relations under reviewPosted 6 days ago
- Midsumma returns to Alexandra GardensPosted 6 days ago
- AFL trans vilifiers ordered to participate in mediationPosted 7 days ago
- University stifles gay rights groupsPosted 7 days ago
- Tel Aviv gay centre shooting suspects appear in courtPosted 7 days ago
Clooney to star in Prop 8 play
George Clooney has signed to a theatre production that covers California’s Proposition 8 trial.
Proposition 8 was the ballot initiative that repealed the state’s gay marriage laws and has since been through the courts as gay marriage advocates seek to have it ruled unconstitutional.
Written by Milk screenwriter Dustin Lance Black, 8 will be directed by Rob Reiner and will run for one night only at Los Angeles’ Wilshire Ebell Theatre on March 3.
Proceeds from the performance will go to the American Foundation for Equal Rights in its national fight for marriage equality.
“It is astonishing that gay and lesbian Americans are still treated as second-class citizens,” Clooney told the Hollywood Reporter.
“I am confident that, very soon, the laws of this nation will reflect the basic truth that gay and lesbian people – like all human beings – are born equal in dignity and rights.”
The play had its New York debut earlier this year.