- Mother alleges discrimination over lack of autopsy for HIV-positive sonPosted 24 hours ago
- No Glee for One Million MumsPosted 24 hours ago
- Ellen addresses marriage rumoursPosted 24 hours ago
- ‘Tis the season for a DWV Christmas classicPosted 1 day ago
- Straight male German celebrities kiss for LGBTI acceptancePosted 1 day ago
- Human Rights Week: Ihar in BelarusPosted 1 day ago
- Peace be with usPosted 1 day ago
- Dolly Parton: “I’m Miley’s fairy godmother”Posted 1 day ago
- Labor clarifies position on marriage referendumPosted 1 day ago
- Darwin Outgames calls for volunteersPosted 1 day ago
Clooney to star in Prop 8 play
George Clooney has signed to a theatre production that covers California’s Proposition 8 trial.
Proposition 8 was the ballot initiative that repealed the state’s gay marriage laws and has since been through the courts as gay marriage advocates seek to have it ruled unconstitutional.
Written by Milk screenwriter Dustin Lance Black, 8 will be directed by Rob Reiner and will run for one night only at Los Angeles’ Wilshire Ebell Theatre on March 3.
Proceeds from the performance will go to the American Foundation for Equal Rights in its national fight for marriage equality.
“It is astonishing that gay and lesbian Americans are still treated as second-class citizens,” Clooney told the Hollywood Reporter.
“I am confident that, very soon, the laws of this nation will reflect the basic truth that gay and lesbian people – like all human beings – are born equal in dignity and rights.”
The play had its New York debut earlier this year.