- Madonna’s continued support for gay RussiaPosted 2 days ago
- Bingham Cup takes pride of place in ARU trophy cabinetPosted 2 days ago
- Nelson Mandela – a leader in LGBTI rights & AIDS awarenessPosted 2 days ago
- A balancing act with a differencePosted 2 days ago
- Prisoner star joins the partyPosted 2 days ago
- Equal Love banner attracts unwanted attentionPosted 2 days ago
- A pucking cute Christmas videoPosted 3 days ago
- From the diving pool to the cabaret stagePosted 3 days ago
- Calling condom-free sex “fucking stupid” is stigmatisingPosted 3 days ago
- Calls for independent police oversightPosted 3 days ago
Gay not disorder
The Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists has become the first mental health authority in Asia to declare that homosexuality is not a psychiatric disorder and that attempts to treat it as such are not beneficial.
“There is, at present, no sound scientific and clinical evidence supporting the benefits of attempts to alter sexual orientation,” a statement from the College read.
“The Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists opines that homosexuality is not a psychiatric disorder.”
Last June the Hong Kong Government caused controversy when it appointed Dr Hong Kwai-wah, an ‘ex-gay’ advocate, to educate social workers about sexual orientation, and the College’s statement is believed to be a rebuff to that decision.