- Proposed marriage referendum dismissed days after Croatia’sPosted 17 hours ago
- Aussie Actor Harry Cook “I’m Gay”Posted 17 hours ago
- My terror of crossing Oxford St at Mardi GrasPosted 20 hours ago
- Audiences bamboozled by transphobic Tropfest winnerPosted 21 hours ago
- Donate to Community Brave to help combat teen bullying and homophobiaPosted 1 day ago
- BootCo Industriel TinselPosted 1 day ago
- Midsumma LaunchPosted 1 day ago
- GLBN Christmas PartyPosted 1 day ago
- Queerscreen Trivia @ Warren View Hotel EnmorePosted 1 day ago
- Imperial Hotel VIP 30th BirthdayPosted 1 day ago
GetUp! gearing up
Lobby group GetUp! has put out a call to their 580,000 members to contact their MPs before they report back on their consultations with constituents on marriage equality on August 24.
In an email seen by the Star Observer, GetUp! asked members, “What will your MP say when they rise to tell Parliament what you think about same-sex marriage?
“Will they state that locals like you are against equal rights? Or will they report how they were flooded with messages of support, and recall the moving calls and meetings they had with local same-sex couples and their families, friends and supporters from every walk of life?
“That’s up to us, and we have two weeks left. It takes just 90-seconds to place a phone call to their office – or to phone and request a meeting.
“While our federal law sends out the message that it’s okay to discriminate on the grounds of sexual orientation and gender, and that same-sex partners are not capable of the level of love and commitment associated with marriage, the issue is entirely one of rights and equality. While we allow out-of-touch MPs to front media claiming support of their electorate, those who oppose equality will win this fight.”
GetUp! members are then urged to visit www.getup.org.au/meet-your-mp which will provide them with contact details for their local member.