- Police call for tougher hate crime sentencingPosted 1 day ago
- Rudd reverses gay marriage positionPosted 2 days ago
- Gay-friendly businesses celebratedPosted 3 days ago
- Greens push for overseas marriagePosted 7 days ago
- AFL pride campaign is “bullying”Posted 8 days ago
- Brazilian court ruling allows gay marriagesPosted 8 days ago
- Minnesota passes marriage equality billPosted 9 days ago
- Marriage rally draws sombre talePosted 10 days ago
- Marriage bill a stunt: Rainbow LaborPosted 13 days ago
- Take two: Marriage bill back to ParliamentPosted 14 days ago
Mayoral tilt for Abbott’s sister?
Opposition Leader Tony Abbott’s lesbian sister, Christine Forster could challenge Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore for the city’s top job, Liberal party sources claim.
The Wentworth Courier reported last week that Forster was in the running for preselection as the Liberal Party’s candidate for Sydney Lord Mayor.
“I think she could be a huge candidate for us and certainly show what a broad church the Liberal Party really is,” one Liberal party member told the newspaper.
Forster came out publicly in The Weekend Australian in April, declaring her support for marriage equality.
At the time she said she had tried to change her brother’s mind on marriage equality.
Clover Moore has been Sydney Mayor since 2004. Last year, the Sydney City Council passed a motion calling on the federal Parliament to legalise same-sex marriage.
Sydney’s local government elections will be held in September this year.