- Madonna’s continued support for gay RussiaPosted 22 hours ago
- Bingham Cup takes pride of place in ARU trophy cabinetPosted 23 hours ago
- Nelson Mandela – a leader in LGBTI rights & AIDS awarenessPosted 1 day ago
- A balancing act with a differencePosted 1 day ago
- Prisoner star joins the partyPosted 1 day ago
- Equal Love banner attracts unwanted attentionPosted 1 day ago
- A pucking cute Christmas videoPosted 2 days ago
- From the diving pool to the cabaret stagePosted 2 days ago
- Calling condom-free sex “fucking stupid” is stigmatisingPosted 2 days ago
- Calls for independent police oversightPosted 2 days ago
Mass wedding planned
Attendees at this year’s Labor Party conference will see a potent image of gay rights, as Community Action Against Homophobia attempts to stage the world’s largest gay wedding ceremony.
Organisers of CAAH’s National Day of Action hope to attract over 400 couples to take part in the demonstration on 1 August, which could set a new world record and help pressure the Labor Party to lend support to same-sex marriage.
This is going to be an important year, because we’ve got a lot of the rights that we’ve asked for, so the next logical step is to demand formal recognition of our relationships, CAAH spokesman Simon Margan said.
Our NDA obviously coincides with the Labor meeting which gives us an opportunity to really bring this issue to them and try and get them to reconsider their position.
This really could be a turning point, I think, if we get a lot of ground support.
We’ve got a lot of support from queer Labor groups so far who are keen to push this issue.
It’s pivotal this year that we get as many people as possible to show their support, because if we all just stay home and don’t be a part of it, we’ll be doing ourselves a disservice.
The National Day of Action will meet at 12 noon on August 1 outside Town Hall.
info: For more about CAAH or to get involved with planning for the NDA visit http://www.caah.org.au/nda