- Madonna’s continued support for gay RussiaPosted 1 day ago
- Bingham Cup takes pride of place in ARU trophy cabinetPosted 2 days ago
- Nelson Mandela – a leader in LGBTI rights & AIDS awarenessPosted 2 days ago
- A balancing act with a differencePosted 2 days ago
- Prisoner star joins the partyPosted 2 days ago
- Equal Love banner attracts unwanted attentionPosted 2 days ago
- A pucking cute Christmas videoPosted 2 days ago
- From the diving pool to the cabaret stagePosted 3 days ago
- Calling condom-free sex “fucking stupid” is stigmatisingPosted 3 days ago
- Calls for independent police oversightPosted 3 days ago
Sharpe made patron of Rainbow Camping
Labor MLC Penny Sharpe has been announced as the inaugural patron of Rainbow Babies and Kids Camping as the group prepares to celebrate its 15th anniversary early next month with a camping trip to the NSW South Coast.
Rainbow Babies and Kids Camping was established 15 years ago when a group of lesbian mothers decided to start taking two camping trips each year to provide their children with an opportunity to meet and get to know other kids from same-sex parented families.
The group’s coordinator, Deb Gavan, said she was very pleased Sharpe had agreed to take on the role.
“Penny’s strong advocacy for the needs of GLBTI families means that Penny will be able to work with us to help Rainbow Babies and Kids Camping continue to grow so we can provide opportunities for more kids to come together and hang out with families just like theirs,” she said.
“Penny and her family have previously participated in Rainbow Babies & Kids camping and she knows that our bi-annual camps provide fun and support to kids as well as helping to build a community that supports GLBTI families across NSW.”
Sharpe said was incredibly honoured to be involved with the group which began when a group of 10 families went on a camp 15 years ago.
“This group is run entirely by volunteers,” she said. “Volunteers who saw a need in our community and with nothing more that will and hard work, have built a bi annual event that supports GLBTI families.”
On the weekend of November 8-9, Rainbow Babies and Kids Camping will hold one of its regular bi-annual camps at Kiama, with the event to also mark the organisation’s 15 years in existence.
Activities planned for the trip include a picnic dinner, playgroups, tennis, coastal walks, a pool party and beach activities. Over 50 families are expected to attend for the event that will set up camp at the Easts Beach Caravan Park in Kiama.