Security measures for the Gay Games are on track and constantly under review, according to Sydney 2002 organisers and NSW Police.
Head of Gay Games policing Commander Chris Evans told Sydney Star Observer security preparations were ready to go for Saturday’s opening ceremony.
Commander Evans said the recent terrorist attacks in Bali had not created any extra work for Games security organisers.
Our planning had incorporated that potential event, and we haven’t had to change our arrangements, which we’re glad about, he said.
Everything’s going well -“ so far we’ve only had one minor incident that was nothing like terrorism, just people being idiots. We’re all set to go.
Sydney 2002 co-chair Bev Lange (pictured) said Games organisers had been in constant contact with the police in recent months to discuss security measures.
They don’t believe that there is any threat to the Games in terms of security. They’ve been vigilant and constantly reviewing the intelligence that’s coming in -“ that’s what they’re conveying to us, she said.
Sydney 2002 Gay Games and NSW Police constantly monitor and adjust our security planning, and we have done so again in light of recent tragic events in Bali. It is our policy not to make specific comments on security matters. However, participants and spectators can be assured that security for the event will reflect the measures deemed necessary.
Lange said while there had been cancellations by overseas travellers to Bali and Indonesia, no countries were advising travellers not to come to, or travel within, Australia.