- More DJs announced for official Mardi Gras PartyPosted 13 hours ago
- Secretly filmed emotional coming out video to inspire othersPosted 13 hours ago
- Gold, gold, gold for dragon boatersPosted 13 hours ago
- Kelly Osbourne tweets Australian gay marriage supportPosted 15 hours ago
- High Court overturns ACT’s same-sex marriage legislationPosted 18 hours ago
- Women said something … now women will film somethingPosted 2 days ago
- Pride TV launches in AustraliaPosted 2 days ago
- Hey Tropfest! Us trans* are not fodder for award winning sexual manipulation “satire”Posted 3 days ago
- Twenty10′s new boss is ParadisePosted 3 days ago
- Stay socially connected to supportive friends and family for your mental healthPosted 3 days ago
US Activist Doug Ireland dies at 67
Ireland emerged as a force to be reckoned with during 1960s where he was a part of the American New Left politics. Later as a journalist, his work engaged with politics, power, media, and LGBT issues. His most recent pieces appear in Gay City News, where he had been a contributor for nearly ten years, and in French language publication Bakchich.
Gay activist Peter Tatchell said “Doug Ireland was a veteran leftist and LGBT campaigner. A supporter of many progressive causes, he was also a superb writer. He was a kind, warm-hearted man. He will be missed and long remembered by me and many other people.”
Omar Kuddus, human rights advocate and fellow Gay City News contributor, praised Ireland’s work on Iranian LGBT issues where in 2005 he brought worldwide attention to two teenagers executed for the ‘crime of homosexuality.’
“In life there are some who are born to be an activist. For them it is a passion – not for the glory or recognition, not as a business, but for what they believe to be right and their duty to address the injustices and wrongs that fellow LGBTs face,” said Kuddus.
Ireland will be cremated and the date for his memorial service will be announced next week.