- Wyatt Roy announces equal marriage supportPosted 1 day ago
- Scouts partially drop gay banPosted 2 days ago
- Police call for tougher hate crime sentencingPosted 4 days ago
- Rudd reverses gay marriage positionPosted 5 days ago
- Gay-friendly businesses celebratedPosted 5 days ago
- Greens push for overseas marriagePosted 9 days ago
- AFL pride campaign is “bullying”Posted 10 days ago
- Brazilian court ruling allows gay marriagesPosted 10 days ago
- Minnesota passes marriage equality billPosted 12 days ago
- Marriage rally draws sombre talePosted 13 days ago
Group meetings and support
Did you know that as well as providing telephone counselling, information and referral across NSW, GLCS also runs face-to-face groups in Sydney?
Our current groups are:
Talking It Out: Men’s Discussion Group meets on first and third Thursday of each month at 7pm. It’s a social support group for men wanting to discuss their sexuality and related topics such as coming out, dealing with homophobia, family relations, how to meet guys, friendship vs dating and being happy in yourself.
For the ladies, the Women’s Coming Out Group (COG) meets on the second and fourth Thursday each month at 7pm. COG is a safe and friendly place to meet and gain support from other women while coming to terms with your sexual identity or, if you’re already out and proud, a place to meet, share stories and socialise in a non-threatening situation.
We also host the Newtown branch of SMART Recovery, a self-help group assisting people recovering from alcohol, drug use and other addictive behaviours. SMART meets weekly, Mondays 6pm, and while not exclusively for LGBTI people, is LGBTI-friendly, non-judgemental and open to all. The program aims to teach practical skills to help people abstain and achieve a healthy lifestyle balance. Visit www.smartrecoveryaustralia.com.au for more info on SMART and details of other NSW meetings.
For all groups, you don’t need to register or commit to attending each session — pop in once, attend every time or just drop in now and again. Our groups are all fairly informal and relaxed. 43 Bedford St, Newtown (upstairs, no lift). Ring doorbell for entry.
We’re also developing a new social group (which was to launch on July 16 but has been postponed for now), to launch later in 2011. Keep an eye on our website for future information about this new group.
For more info, email GLCS firstname.lastname@example.org, go to www.glcsnsw.org.au or call the Counselling & Info Line on 02 8594 9596, daily 5.30–9.30pm. Lesbian Line is open Mondays 5.30–9.30pm on 02 8594 9595.
By FIONA PASKULICH, Gay and Lesbian Counselling Service