- Wyatt Roy announces equal marriage supportPosted 14 hours ago
- Scouts partially drop gay banPosted 20 hours ago
- Police call for tougher hate crime sentencingPosted 3 days ago
- Rudd reverses gay marriage positionPosted 4 days ago
- Gay-friendly businesses celebratedPosted 5 days ago
- Greens push for overseas marriagePosted 9 days ago
- AFL pride campaign is “bullying”Posted 10 days ago
- Brazilian court ruling allows gay marriagesPosted 10 days ago
- Minnesota passes marriage equality billPosted 11 days ago
- Marriage rally draws sombre talePosted 12 days ago
with MONIQUE THORPE Festival Manager
As Midsumma heads into it’s closing full week of programming, there is an urge to look back at that has been achieved, but also still immense excitement in the air about what is still to come!
Over the past 12 days and nights, we have had the privilege of launching what I consider to be one of the finest Midsumma visual art programs to date. With the weather actually starting to look like Midsumma weather, its time for dates and after-work socialising and I cannot recommend more strongly swinging by a Midsumma gallery. The works go from confrontational to surreal to reflective and post-modern. With most of the exhibitions launched already, it is also great time to see the art without the loud crowds that flow through the launch nights.
If cabaret is more your speed, this Friday is only performance the lovely Tom Sharah will be making this Midsumma. His show, It’s Raining Me, at Chapel off Chapel is one not to be missed. Another performing arts event that has captured the interest of many a seasoned theatre-goer is Transit at Gasworks. This verbatim-style performance explores the world of travel, from the fantastic to the disastrous.
This coming week is your last chance for 12 months to pick up the Midsumma guide and decide to see one of an immense range of queer performances, exhibitions, screenings and events. Be sure to make the most of it and not be left on February 4 lamenting the fact that you missed Midsumma 2013.