- Police call for tougher hate crime sentencingPosted 19 hours ago
- Rudd reverses gay marriage positionPosted 2 days ago
- Gay-friendly businesses celebratedPosted 3 days ago
- Greens push for overseas marriagePosted 7 days ago
- AFL pride campaign is “bullying”Posted 8 days ago
- Brazilian court ruling allows gay marriagesPosted 8 days ago
- Minnesota passes marriage equality billPosted 9 days ago
- Marriage rally draws sombre talePosted 10 days ago
- Marriage bill a stunt: Rainbow LaborPosted 13 days ago
- Take two: Marriage bill back to ParliamentPosted 14 days ago
Where do I fit in?
with RICKI MENZIES
Working out where, in the many identity sub groups of the LGBT community, people fit can be confusing, for some it can be important to know this while for others they are “just me”.
This often becomes an issue when signing up for LGBT dating sites or social media – femme, butch, bi/curious, queer, lipstick, sporty. Many people get unstuck here by confusing identity with gender expression.
Not every masculine looking woman is ‘butch’ and attracted to ‘femmes’, some people are attracted to opposites and some to those who are like them.
Identity is a very personal thing and only the individual can decide on how they identify, and this may or may not be in direct correlation to how they present or the type of person they are attracted to or engage in sex or relationships with.
Remember only you can decide on your identity and labels are for jars.