- Proposed marriage referendum dismissed days after Croatia’sPosted 19 hours ago
- Aussie Actor Harry Cook “I’m Gay”Posted 19 hours ago
- My terror of crossing Oxford St at Mardi GrasPosted 22 hours ago
- Audiences bamboozled by transphobic Tropfest winnerPosted 23 hours ago
- Donate to Community Brave to help combat teen bullying and homophobiaPosted 1 day ago
- BootCo Industriel TinselPosted 2 days ago
- Midsumma LaunchPosted 2 days ago
- GLBN Christmas PartyPosted 2 days ago
- Queerscreen Trivia @ Warren View Hotel EnmorePosted 2 days ago
- Imperial Hotel VIP 30th BirthdayPosted 2 days ago
Party with Tropical Fruits
With CoastOut done and dusted for another year, things are looking decidedly quiet on the Mid North Coast.
Luckily for us, Tropical Fruits is just a few hours north and they really know how to keep the rural GLBT community happy over New Year’s. If your idea of a good time at New Year is a cabaret show, they have one. If
you prefer art, they have a full exhibition and if you are into movies, they have a film festival from December 28.
If dancing is your thing, they have three very different halls to choose from, plus a pool party, then a recovery party including a BBQ on January 1.
To keep the costs down, you can camp at the Lismore showground. For all the details on the Tropical Fruits New Year’s Festival ‘Tribe’, visit www.topicalfruits.org.au
There are a number of awareness-raising events happening across NSW associated with AIDS Awareness Week and World AIDS Day, which is observed on December 1. The theme for World AIDS Day 2011 is ‘HIV is still here’. The aim is to create awareness of the prevalence of HIV/AIDS, for people to take action to reduce HIV transmission by promoting safe sex practices, and to promote acceptance and support of people living with or affected by HIV/AIDS.
On World AIDS Day, the Port Macquarie town centre will have volunteers selling Red Ribbons at lunch time. In the Coffs Harbour area, there will be an information stall at Toormina Shopping Centre. If you are around either of these areas, on World AIDS Day, say “Hi” and get your World AIDS Day supplies.
HIV Community Support Fund 2012 calendars are available from the ACON Outreach Service at 3/146 Gordon St, Port Macquarie and the ACON Coffs Harbour Outreach Service at Galambila. They retail at $10 each. All proceeds go to the Mid North Coast HIV community support fund for distribution through their community grants program.
INFO: For more about groups, services, organisations or events on the Mid North Coast, contact Anabell Thoener, Coffs Harbour 02 66516017 or email@example.com or Glenn Ferrero, Port Macquarie 02 6584 0943 or firstname.lastname@example.org
By Anabell Thoener, ACON’s Health Promotion Outreach Officer in Coffs Harbour.