- Liberal defies Abbott on gay rightsPosted 12 hours ago
- Foreign same-sex marriage bill defeatedPosted 13 hours ago
- Commission in Brazil approves overturning ‘gay cure’ banPosted 13 hours ago
- SA Parliament thanks NZ for gay marriagePosted 15 hours ago
- Russian anti-gay law condemned internationallyPosted 15 hours ago
- Pakistan leads world in gay Google searchesPosted 15 hours ago
- DLP Senator wants constitutional marriage equality banPosted 15 hours ago
- Sydney gay politics overhaul?Posted 2 days ago
- Overseas recognition bill vote nearsPosted 2 days ago
- Bernardi doubles down on polygamy commentsPosted 2 days ago
Motley Crew of Love
This month marks the 20 year anniversary that I have known Dawn.
Kylie ended her musical career on K25, so I borrowed the theme and ‘J&D20’ took over my facebook last week. I started the pictorial festivities with a picture of us -perms and boofy boy band hair – in 1993. I think this is a very successful relationship. One that has evolved – we label ourselves and our relationships sometimes without realising where we are and how far we’ve come. Sure, this one
Beau is 9 this year, and Mr Chickles 8 – they’ve been watching us for nearly half the time we are celebrating. I can’t say it feels like half, but then the state of my hair colour and almost fully grey beard should account for such.
I like to believe that the word ‘family’ means and stands for many things. Evolving people, growing and trying to make each tomorrow better than today is what it’s all about – no matter their age. The four of us, 38, 37, 8 and 7 all work together to create a place to which we can safely be. Be loved, be held and be heard.
Nichola, a relative I haven’t seen in years, framed an image perfectly with her words -she was spot on. “I love how our generation has created family in OUR way. I’m with you Cuz!! And the beneficiaries are our children! Now that’s what I call a family tradition!”
It’s true, our generation – all of us out there, have created a more unique family – our way. Friends, lovers, ex’s, pets, perms, gays, straights, undecideds, wives, grandparents, boyfriends and Kylie imitations – its what we invest in, it’s what we love and hold dear to us.
It isn’t only limited 9 carat gold banded families in the suburbs. It’s a motley crew of love.