Out Publications is the publication company located at Unit 10. Level 1,330 Wattle Street Ultimo, NSW, 2007.
The guidelines below are the General Principles by which Out Publications uses for all print and online publication purposes.
If anyone has any doubt about these principles or an issue they are urged to contact their editor or the publisher immediately.
Guidelines & Principles
- Out Publications has sought membership with the Australian Press Council. The processes listed here will remain in place unless and until the company’s membership application has been accepted.
- All complaints should be addressed to the Editor in writing. Emails can be sent to [email protected] or letters can be posted to Out Publications PO Box 843 Broadway NSW 2007.
- Out Publications has adopted the Charter of a Free Press in Australia. We believe it is the role of the press in a western democracy to publish a diverse range of opinions, to expose malfeasance and to hold government officials accountable in a free and unfettered press.
- Out Publications is a member of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA). Our shared mission is to serve as a “global voice for the rights of those who face discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and/or sex characteristics.” We will not publish comments or opinions that are disparaging of our community.
- We actively encourage readers’ comments which can be posted at www.starobserver.com.au as well as on our various social media platforms.
- Opinion pieces, which are clearly flagged as such, represent the opinion of the writer and not necessarily those of the publisher.
- We aim to acknowledge complaints three working days of receipt. In making a complaint, readers agree to respond promptly to any request for further information. Our complaints process is free of charge, regardless of outcome. If we receive multiple complaints about the same issue we may make one response to all. We will respond to all complaints within 28 days of receiving all the necessary information to allow us to investigate.
- While we strive to check facts, seek comments and provide balanced reporting in our news coverage, errors occur from time to time. If factual errors have occurred in reporting a story, Out Publications will print a correction online. The publisher reserves the right to publish corrections in its newsprint edition. The Editor will from time to time amend the online copy in order to correct any errors that might otherwise remain on the public record.
- We may offer a complainant the right of reply if we believe this is an appropriate remedy. This might take the form of a follow up story or an opinion piece which would be offered at the discretion of the publisher.
- In the event that the parties are unable to reach an amicable resolution in relation to a complaint, Out Publications will without notice refer any such matters to the Australia Press Council.
Stories and articles published by Out Publications will at all times strive for:
Accuracy and Clarity
2. If it falls into comment or opinion it must be published as such.
Fairness and Balance
Integrity and Transparency
Photography and Images
13. Any digital manipulation of an image should be noted in the caption.
For Out Publication’s purposes all images should be 1mb and over in size.
Collection of Personal Information
14. It is appropriate to source personal information from public sources such as FaceBook and LinkedIn but discretion should be used about what to use.
Use of Religious and Ethnic Terms in Headline or Story
19. If doing a story with members of the LGBTQI community make sure you ask that the subject on how they would like to be represented.
20.Our writers also adhere to the princicples outlined by the Australia Press Council in relation to reporting on the LGBTQI community.
Family or Domestic Violence
There are more than 40 possible infractions when dealing with domestic violence of family law.
Reporting on Suicide
29. No employee or intern for Out Publications will use social media such as FaceBook, Twitter, Instagram etc to bring Out Publications into disrepute.