The Sydney Rangers Football Club B-division team took on ladder leaders Marrickville at Mackey Park on Saturday.

The Rangers started well and attacked from the start with confidence. Good passing from the back out wide, and good use of the wings saw the team move out of defence and into attack repeatedly.  But Marrickville’s midfield quashed every attack and countered quickly.

After 70 mins, it was still 2-2. After another goal to Marrickville from a header and another Flynn goal, Marrickville pounced and put the game beyond reach with a fairly soft goal.

The final score, 4-2, was a little disappointing for the Rangers.

Rangers B now need to win at least two of their last five games to make the finals. The task is made harder with both teams being depleted by injury and absent players.

Also on Saturday, the Rangers A-division team, in second position on the competition ladder, secured a seventh straight victory by beating Earlwood 3-1 at Beaman Park.

Starting the match with only 10 men for the first 15 minutes didn’t hinder the slick passing style of Rangers A, who dominated the early possession. Earlwood’s only threat was from the high ball into the box from set pieces and that was how they scored the first goal of the match.

With the arrival of Darren and Paul from Rangers B helping out defensively, Rangers possession was eventually rewarded. Victor scored from a shot which hit an Earlwood player on its way into the net.

Within five minutes, Rangers A were in the lead as team captain Koji Niikura smashed his free kick over the wall and under the goalkeeper to make it 2-1.

The second half saw more resolute and determined defending until Dom Gili scored another towering header to put the icing on the cake in what was a comfortable, patient and controlled display for Rangers A.

© Star Observer 2020 | For the latest in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) news in Australia, be sure to visit daily. You can also read our latest magazines or Join us on our Facebook page and Twitter feed.