The annual Team Sydney Mardi Gras Sports Festival is expected to increase in size next year with 16 scheduled events. The organisation has also been busy organising the sports village at Fair Day, which coincides with the Sports Festival.
Twenty-two stalls have already registered for the Fair Day festival but numbers are expected to increase.
“The sports village is something we have been building on for the last four years,” Team Sydney President Geoffrey Radford said.
“Coming from just a small collection of stalls lost amongst all the other stalls on the day, we now have a dedicated area allocated to us by Mardi Gras.”
Team Sydney is in talks with the Victoria Park Pool to make better use of this facility as it is adjacent to the sports village. The sporting organisation also has funding applications lodged and should know results by the end of the year.
“Fair Day 2009 was the first time we brought in our own stage and it’s hoped this will be done again in 2010,” Radford said.
“The sports village allows our clubs to make their sport better known to people and get them registered to join in on a huge variety of sports, some of which will have demonstrations.”
• Amazon Tennis Women’s Social Day at the Cintra Park Tennis Centre, Saturday, March 6.
• Bentstix Pink Hockey Championship at the St George Hockey Centre, Saturday, February 20.
• Different Strokes Dragon Boating at Blackwattle Bay, Tuesday, February 4.
• Frontrunners annual 5km run, Saturday, March 6, and the Little Black Dress run, Saturday, February 20.
• Freezone Annual Mardi Gras Tournament at the Indoor Sports Centre, Saturday, February 20.
• GLMA Self-Defence Workshop, Saturday, March 6.
• Same-Sex Salsa free workshop, Friday, February 26.
• Harbour City Wrestler introduction workshop at Boxing Works, Monday, March 1.
• Tennis Sydney Mardi Gras Championships at the Illawarra Tennis Centre, Friday, February 19.
• ASCC Mardi Gras Regatta at the Youth Sailing Academy, Sunday, February 21.
• Sydney Rams Tenpin Bowling Tournament at the Manhattan Superbowl, Monday, February 22.
• Stingers Water Polo Open Training Season at the Ryde Aquatic Centre, Saturday, February 27.
• Unbiased Bowls barefoot social day at Marrickville Bowling Club, Wednesday, February 24.
• Sydney Spokes fun rides, Sunday, February 21, and Sunday, March 1.