- Wyatt Roy announces equal marriage supportPosted 15 hours ago
- Scouts partially drop gay banPosted 21 hours ago
- Police call for tougher hate crime sentencingPosted 3 days ago
- Rudd reverses gay marriage positionPosted 4 days ago
- Gay-friendly businesses celebratedPosted 5 days ago
- Greens push for overseas marriagePosted 9 days ago
- AFL pride campaign is “bullying”Posted 10 days ago
- Brazilian court ruling allows gay marriagesPosted 10 days ago
- Minnesota passes marriage equality billPosted 11 days ago
- Marriage rally draws sombre talePosted 12 days ago
Gay not disorder
The Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists has become the first mental health authority in Asia to declare that homosexuality is not a psychiatric disorder and that attempts to treat it as such are not beneficial.
“There is, at present, no sound scientific and clinical evidence supporting the benefits of attempts to alter sexual orientation,” a statement from the College read.
“The Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists opines that homosexuality is not a psychiatric disorder.”
Last June the Hong Kong Government caused controversy when it appointed Dr Hong Kwai-wah, an ‘ex-gay’ advocate, to educate social workers about sexual orientation, and the College’s statement is believed to be a rebuff to that decision.