The nomination list for the 2010 ALSO Awards has been released today and voting is now open.
Get online and select who you think deserves to win an award for the biggest, brightest and best contribution to Melbourne’s GLBTI community over the past year.
A ‘first past the post’ system is in place for winners in the Most Popular section below.
A panel of judges selected by the ALSO Foundation will deliberate on the remaining nine categories (of a total 22), with winners to be announced on awards night.
Voting closes at midnight, Saturday, June 26, so get voting!
Those who made the grade this year were:
1. Most Outstanding Volunteer (recognising outstanding contribution by an individual volunteer to any GLBTIQ event, organisation or initiative held in the last 12 months)
2. Most Outstanding Community Event (Acknowledges the most outstanding community event of the last 12 months, by and for the queer community)
Minus 18 Same Sex Formal
3. Best Overall Community Reporting by a Media Outlet (Acknowledges a consistently excellent level of reportage by a queer media outlet over the last 12 months)
4. Most Popular DJ (Nominees must have played in Victorian venues or events within the last 12 months, whether they be regular residencies or as guests)
5. Most Popular Venue (Nominees must cater for the GLBTIQ community and be located in Victoria)
GH (formerly Greyhound Hotel)
6. Most Popular One-Nighter or Alternative Venue (Nominees must cater for the GLBTIQ community and be located in Victoria)
7. Most Outstanding Costumier (Acknowledges outstanding work and craftsmanship of costumier’s for Victoria’s vibrant queer arts and performance scene)
Rita La Coque Eater
8. Most Popular Artist, Group or Entertainer (Open to non-drag performing artists and entertainers)
Andy & Adrian
Yana Alana & the Paranas
9. Most Popular Drag Queen Performer (Victorian-based)
Dulcie Du Jour
10. Most Popular Drag King Performer (Victorian-based)
11. Most Popular Live Show or Performance (including drag) (Victorian-based)
All Dragged Up and noWHERE to Show (Neverwhere)
The Classics (GH)
Le Femme Garcon
Radio Husbands (Andy & Adrian)
12. Most Outstanding Business or Organisation (Victorian-based)
Hares & Hyenas
David Williams Fund
13. Most Significant Straight Supporter (Acknowledges the support and respect provided by a person, group or entity from the non-queer community)
Sgt Scott Davis
The ALSO Awards are on June 28 at St Kilda’s National Theatre.
Tickets are $40 full, $25 conc, $30 for ALSO members and group purchases of eight people and more receive a discount.
info: To vote or buy tickets, visit www.also.org.au