- Mother alleges discrimination over lack of autopsy for HIV-positive sonPosted 18 hours ago
- No Glee for One Million MumsPosted 18 hours ago
- Ellen addresses marriage rumoursPosted 18 hours ago
- ‘Tis the season for a DWV Christmas classicPosted 19 hours ago
- Straight male German celebrities kiss for LGBTI acceptancePosted 19 hours ago
- Human Rights Week: Ihar in BelarusPosted 20 hours ago
- Peace be with usPosted 21 hours ago
- Dolly Parton: “I’m Miley’s fairy godmother”Posted 23 hours ago
- Labor clarifies position on marriage referendumPosted 1 day ago
- Darwin Outgames calls for volunteersPosted 1 day ago
New Russia bill to take children from gay parents
The deputy of the Russian State Duma has proposed a bill to take away children from homosexual parents.
Last Thursday Alexei Zhuravlev drafted a bill that will list homosexuality, alongside drug and child abuse, on a list of conditions that could see parents have custody of their children removed.
“In the case when a parent has sexual contact with people of their own gender, the damage that can be inflicted on the psyche of a child is enormous,” Zhuravlev wrote in submitting the bill to the Russian Parliament’s lower house.
The bill follows a similar law passed earlier this year that bans the distribution of “homosexual propaganda” to minors.
“It occurred to me that since we have a law explicitly prohibiting the promotion of homosexuality among minors, the Family Code should be amended in such a way that that if a husband or a wife professes a non-traditional sexual orientation, they should be deprived of their parental rights,” Zhuravlev said.
‘The purpose of this would be to restrict the influence of such a person on his or her own children.”
Russia currently bans people from any country that allows same-sex marriage marriage from adopting children in Russia, including many European nations.
“We view Europe as Sodom and Gomorrah,” Zhuravlev said.”Europe must not tell us how to live. The Europeans can live any way they like, but they mustn’t tell us what to do.”
“If negotiations about a visa-free space mean that our streets should have gay parades marching around, I am categorically against international relations of that kind and shall speak out against them.”
Zhuravlev further stated that he had “no doubts” that a child of a gay single mother should be removed from her care and placed in an orphanage.