A BRISBANE gay-friendly nightclub has been at the centre of allegations of discrimination and abuse in light of an incident involving a trans* man last week.
The Beat Megaclub in Fortitude Valley has been accused of discrimination and physical assault of 18 year-old trans* patron Oscar McGregor, who said he was involved in an altercation with security after an incident in one of the club’s male toilets on Saturday, August 10.
A security guard allegedly told McGregor that he could not use the male toilets due to his physical gender characteristics. After an initial explanation of his gender identity, McGregor was allowed to use the toilet.
However, the same guard allegedly approached McGregor half an hour later accompanied by two other guards and informed him that he could not use the toilets and would have to leave.
“I explained to them again that I am a transman but then they asked for my ID (which I didn’t give them) and [security] said that until my ID says that I am male I cannot use the mens (sic) toilets,” McGregor wrote on a Facebook post.
“I told them that that is discrimination and they can’t do that. They then asked me if I wanted to be treated as a man and when I said yes they threw me to the ground.”
McGregor said the Beat’s security used “excessive force” that involved a knee to his throat, a punch to his face and standing on his leg.
“This is blatant transphobia and is disgusting behavior (sic) from a place that claims to be inclusive to people of all sexuality’s (sic) and genders. I’d prefer not to be called a slurs by people employed at a place that is supposed to be a safe space for people like me,” he said, in the same Facebook post.
“I am honestly disgusted this kind of behavior (sic) came from the beat (sic), now i (sic) have a bruised eye, cuts and swelling on the back of my head and cuts and bruises down my shins.”
Later on in a comment on that Facebook post, McGregor indicated that he has lodged a complaint with the Australian Human Rights Commission.
The Beat Megaclub management responded to the allegations on a separate Facebook post by saying people within the LGBTI community were spreading “outrite (sic) blatant lies”.
“A message to all that have made a comment or got on the band wagon (sic) of the trans gender (sic) person being so called bashed for using the mens (sic) toilet at THE BEAT MEGACLUB,” the post read.
After a discussion with solicitors, security, police and licensing officials, management said they would not comment further.
“No other corrispondance (sic) will be entered into because of the legal proceedings that are now going to take place for slander /deformation (sic) of character made by the people who posted lies and threats towards our security staff and management and the outrite (sic) blatant lies being bantered around about the club by people that get on social media etc before actually finding out the truth,” they wrote on Facebook.
Beat management stated that their establishment has been a long-term supporter of the LGBTI community and the allegations being made “saddens” them.
“we (sic) have supported all forms of gay and lesbian organization (sic) for nearly 31 years now and will continue to do so for many more years,” management said.
“saddens (sic) me to think the amount of time effort (sic) and money THE BEAT MEGACLUB have put into gay and lesbian organisations to be treated like this by a minority for their own enjoyment.”
The Beat Megaclub management declined any further comment pending legal action.
(Main image via http://www.thebeatmegaclub.com.au/)
© Star Observer 2014 | For the latest in Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans* and Intersex (LGBTI) news in Australia, be sure to visit starobserver.com.au daily. You can also pick up the next Star Observer monthly magazine March 19 or Join us on our Facebook page and Twitter feed.