Caesars Bar was closed last week due to the death of director and licensee David Mack.
Mack’s death on Monday 2 December meant the Camp-erdown favourite was without a licensee last weekend and was unable to open, due to an oversight in the licence transfer application form.
But any rumours the venue was closing or moving were wrong, manager Anthony Yeo said.
We’re definitely staying. Caesars is not going anywhere, Yeo told the Star.
Yeo issued a statement to the Star apologising to anyone who was turned away last week. He said he expected the bar to be open from Friday 20 December and to remain open through the Christmas and New Year period.
A dispute between the bar and its landlords, the Univer-sity of Sydney, over rent owing and the cost of repairing a defective air conditioning system was ongoing, he said.
In Oxford St, the downstairs bar at the Stonewall Hotel has been reopened after a false ceiling collapsed on the first floor, injuring 18 people.
Stonewall owner Craig Bell said repairs and renovations were under way upstairs and hopefully the rest of the three-storey hotel would be open by the end of January.
We’re getting quotes and things together at the moment on doing the work -“ we’re still waiting until the insurance companies are finished, he said.
We’re all ready to go, we’ve had council approval. We’ll be putting back the heritage-style ceilings, which was something that council originally wanted us to do, and we support that one hundred percent. We think it will look great.