You may have noticed my absence from Sydney Star Observer last week. I’d planned a fabulous piece — it soon fizzled out and turned into an interstate adventure.
A couple of years ago, I flew to Perth to perform for local ‘Club Kid’ and boy about town, Israel. It was organised with a day of sightseeing before a party on the Swan River. It all went wrong when I was delayed at Sydney terminal for nine hours. Sightseeing turned into a race against the clock.
It all worked out in the end. Israel was soon on the phone and two weeks later I had a free trip back to Perth.
That was 18 months ago. Being the Queen of Procrastination, as the expiry date got closer, I confirmed my trip back to Perth for Australia Day 2010.
“It’s one of Perth’s best days,” my host told me. There would be fireworks in the evening. Excited, I wheeled my suitcase to the terminal, leaving lots of time in case of another delay.
All was going swimmingly. I snoozed, ate breakfast in the air and arrived at Perth domestic terminal exactly on time.
Israel’s best friend Guida met me and we soon chatted like old friends, waiting for the bags to come through. Five minutes turned to 10, which turned to 25. There was no movement at any station.
Desperate for a pick-me-up, I headed for the coffee station to get a couple of lattes. After separating with $6 per coffee, I stood patiently with the other members of the coffee crowd.
There was an announcement over the loudspeaker. “Attention: Please evacuate Perth domestic terminal. Forward to the exits immediately.” I stood fast. The lady behind the coffee machine turned from rushed to frantic. Guida was soon by my side. We waited, confused. Six dollars a coffee — crazy!
Moments later another announcement came over. “It is urgent everyone evacuates Perth domestic terminal.” This time it sounded a lot more official. Coffee-less, we stood in the hot carpark with hundreds of other travellers, confused and not knowing what was going on.
Finally we were allowed back in to collect our bags and our expensive coffees. I’d arrived at 10am, and it was almost 1pm when I left the airport. Once again, my Perth experience was not as shiny as planned.
Australia Day was magical. I met up with my sister who I hadn’t seen for 17 years and my journey home was safe.
It turned out that suspect bottles were found in someone’s suitcase, and that was why the domestic terminal was turned upside down. Here I was thinking they knew I was coming, and that’s why it had happened.

© Star Observer 2022 | For the latest in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and intersex (LGBTIQ) news in Australia, be sure to visit daily. You can also read our latest magazines or Join us on our Facebook page and Twitter feed.