- A pucking cute Christmas videoPosted 16 hours ago
- From the diving pool to the cabaret stagePosted 17 hours ago
- Calling condom-free sex “fucking stupid” is stigmatisingPosted 18 hours ago
- Calls for independent police oversightPosted 19 hours ago
- Christine fostering a good runPosted 19 hours ago
- Star Observer issue 1204Posted 1 day ago
- Grindr makes us healthier and better lookingPosted 2 days ago
- Tom Daley’s male partner revealedPosted 2 days ago
- Under The MirrorballPosted 2 days ago
- Same-sex marriage in the ACT will be legal – for five days at leastPosted 3 days ago
A year of coming out caught on camera
Jimmy Hales posted the video to his personal blog and described his experience coming out as a Mormon.
“At this point, me being gay it not such a big deal to me or those close around me,” he wrote.
“I believe, with time, it won’t as big a deal to all members of the church either. They just need opportunity to think about it, so here I am posting about it.”
Last year, the Mormon Church unveiled a website dedicated to starting a “discussion” on people with “same-sex attraction”.
“Though we don’t know everything, we know enough to be able to say that same-sex attraction is not itself sin,” Mormon Elder Todd Christofferson says in a video on the site.
“The feeling, the desire is not classified the same as homosexual behavior itself.”
The site also features testimonials from people who claim to have “found” a heterosexual life after fighting with same-sex attraction.
The Mormon Church was one of the major proponents of California’s Proposition 8 ballot measure which led to same-sex marriage laws being wound back in the state.
“There will always be a certain stigma attached to it to some degree, for living a lonely celibate mortal life is a taste of hell, and the possibility that a person might ‘fall away’ is always possible,” Hales said on his blog.
“If you know someone who has fallen away, please try to understand that they’ve been through hell, and that they’ve probably gone through hell all by themselves with little or no help. Please love them.”
Watch his video below: