Melbourne Underground Film Festival director Richard Wolstencroft has been instructed to pay $750 to the Royal Children’s Hospital for showing Bruce LaBruce’s film LA Zombie to an audience last year.
At a hearing at Melbourne Magistrate’s Court last week, Wolstencroft was ordered to pay the amount for screening the film which was refused classification by the Office of Film and Literature Classification.
The film depicts a gay zombie who roams the streets of Los Angeles in search of dead bodies which he brings back to life through gay sex.
Wolstencroft escaped a serious penalty — two years in jail or a fine of more than $20,000 — and was granted a diversion order so no criminal conviction will be recorded against his name.
A film-night fundraiser — showing Bruce LaBruce tribute film The Advocate of Fagdom — was held at Red Bennies in South Yarra on Sunday night to raise money for the donation Wolstencroft must pay.
Wolstencroft told the Star Observer he had received support from LaBruce during the court case.
“He’s been there offering me support the whole time,” Wolstencroft said. “It’s one of the first times a film festival director’s been charged like this.”
© Star Observer 2014 | For the latest in lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* and intersex (LGBTI) news in Australia, be sure to visit starobserver.com.au daily. You can also pick up the next Star Observer monthly magazine April 16 or Join us on our Facebook page and Twitter feed.