- Overseas recognition bill vote nearsPosted 1 day ago
- Bernardi doubles down on polygamy commentsPosted 1 day ago
- Intersex reforms pave way forwardPosted 2 days ago
- Australian Marriage Equality says Rudd better for reformPosted 5 days ago
- Police-gay relations under reviewPosted 5 days ago
- Midsumma returns to Alexandra GardensPosted 5 days ago
- AFL trans vilifiers ordered to participate in mediationPosted 6 days ago
- University stifles gay rights groupsPosted 6 days ago
- Tel Aviv gay centre shooting suspects appear in courtPosted 6 days ago
- Funds renewed for LGBTI grants programPosted 6 days ago
Aurora awards $60,000 to community projects
The Aurora Group has announced the recipients of its small grants for 2011-2012 with $25,010 disbursed to projects for transgender teens, foster parents, storytellers, young people and the wider LGBT community.
Recipients include the Commitment Project, the Gender Centre, the Benevolent Society, the Regional Youth Support Service, Queer Screen, and ACON’s Anti-Violence Project.
Aurora chair Marcus Bourget said recipients demonstrated the range of projects that were being developed to address diverse needs in the LGBTI community.
“We are pleased to once again be able to fund NSW projects based outside the inner-city areas of Sydney as well as those focused on a range of age groups from teens to potential foster parents,” Bourget said.
Aurora will also continue to support major beneficiary Twenty10, now incorporating the NSW Gay and Lesbian Counselling Service, with $35,000.
Funding will help Twenty10 strengthen its presence in Western Sydney alongside its group and counselling services.
Twenty10 and GLCS will also create a database and resource creation project to feed into community capacity building and support projects, including resources for volunteer counsellors and staff.
The money will also support GLCS’ relocation and fitout of new premises in 2012, including the installation of new technology and infrastructure.
Community groups are encouraged to submit applications for the 2012-2013 funding round.
In related news, Aurora announced that its popular Fat Tuesday fundraiser will be held on February 21 and the Aurora dinner on June 23.