- Wyatt Roy announces equal marriage supportPosted 21 hours ago
- Scouts partially drop gay banPosted 1 day ago
- Police call for tougher hate crime sentencingPosted 3 days ago
- Rudd reverses gay marriage positionPosted 4 days ago
- Gay-friendly businesses celebratedPosted 5 days ago
- Greens push for overseas marriagePosted 9 days ago
- AFL pride campaign is “bullying”Posted 10 days ago
- Brazilian court ruling allows gay marriagesPosted 10 days ago
- Minnesota passes marriage equality billPosted 11 days ago
- Marriage rally draws sombre talePosted 12 days ago
Sperm donor sued for child support
A US sperm donor is being sued for child support costs by a state agency for helping a lesbian couple conceive a child.
The Kansas Department for Children and Families is seeking child support from Topeka man William Marotta, 46, who donated sperm to lesbian couple, Angela Bauer and Jennifer Schreiner in 2009.
The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that the couple had found Marotta on the popular trading website, craigslist.com.
In 2009, Marotta signed a contract waiving his parental rights and responsibilities with the couple, however the state department says legal protection from paternal responsibilities are only available when the semen is provided to a doctor.
The department is seeking about $6,000 from Marotta for financial support already provided by the state to Schreiner, as well future child support.
In documents, Schreiner wrote Marotta donated sperm three times and used a syringe to inseminate.
The story has received international attention, sparking questions about the legal risks for sperm donors and parental responsibilities.
The couple is no longer together.