- More DJs announced for official Mardi Gras PartyPosted 24 hours ago
- Secretly filmed emotional coming out video to inspire othersPosted 24 hours ago
- Gold, gold, gold for dragon boatersPosted 1 day ago
- Kelly Osbourne tweets Australian gay marriage supportPosted 1 day ago
- High Court overturns ACT’s same-sex marriage legislationPosted 1 day ago
- Women said something … now women will film somethingPosted 2 days ago
- Pride TV launches in AustraliaPosted 2 days ago
- Hey Tropfest! Us trans* are not fodder for award winning sexual manipulation “satire”Posted 3 days ago
- Twenty10′s new boss is ParadisePosted 3 days ago
- Stay socially connected to supportive friends and family for your mental healthPosted 3 days ago
Entsch petitions for change
Queensland federal MP Warren Entsch has thrown his support behind a petition calling for better health care for intersex and trans people in Queensland.
Entsch said Queensland’s sex and gender-diverse community is being placed at risk because of a lack of funding for health services.
His call follows recent reports Brisbane’s Gender Clinic, which assists people when transitioning genders, may be forced to close its doors due to a lack of resourcing.
“Lives are lost every year because people cannot access the services that they sorely need,” Entsch said in a statement.
“Access to proper counselling, therapy, treatments and cosmetic surgery is essential to many gender diverse people to enable them live happy and fulfilling lives.
“These services are essential so gender diverse people can blend and be accepted into society and reduce the risk of discrimination, vilification, abuse and violence that they might face.”
Entsch accused the Bligh Government of being slow to act on new standards of care recommendations set out by the World Professional Association of Transgender Health recently.
“The intersex, transsexual, transgender and gender diverse community might be only a minority group, but enough is enough,” he said.
A petition, which has so far collected around 300 signatures, is running on change.org under the title Better Healthcare for Transsexual, Transgender, Gender Diverse Australians.
Entsch has also mooted plans for a federal same-sex civil unions bill, instead of marriage. He said he believes a marriage bill will fail in the current Parliament.