- Proposed marriage referendum dismissed days after Croatia’sPosted 13 hours ago
- Aussie Actor Harry Cook “I’m Gay”Posted 13 hours ago
- My terror of crossing Oxford St at Mardi GrasPosted 16 hours ago
- Audiences bamboozled by transphobic Tropfest winnerPosted 16 hours ago
- Donate to Community Brave to help combat teen bullying and homophobiaPosted 21 hours ago
- BootCo Industriel TinselPosted 1 day ago
- Midsumma LaunchPosted 1 day ago
- GLBN Christmas PartyPosted 1 day ago
- Queerscreen Trivia @ Warren View Hotel EnmorePosted 1 day ago
- Imperial Hotel VIP 30th BirthdayPosted 1 day ago
Beyondblue chair Jeff Kennett was last month re-elected for another three years at the helm of the national depression initiative.
Kennett was recently criticised for an opinion piece in which he claimed heterosexual marriages were preferable for the mental health of children.
He later agreed to an interview on Melbourne LGBTI radio station JOY94.9 where he said his comments had been taken out of context.
Kennett told JOY he didn’t set out to discriminate, but his personal preference is for opposite-sex parents.
“A loving relationship, be it between a male and a female, be it between two men, two women, be it a single parent, a loving relationship is by far the best,” he said.
“I made the comment that my preference … which would be, in my opinion, the preferred, and that’s the environment that I have grown up in, [with] which I‘m familiar, that’s been my mother and father.
“I didn’t set out to [discriminate] and I’m sorry to upset people, but on the other hand that is my opinion.”