Melbourne_chargers-teamThe Melbourne Chargers are in good spirits after last weekend’s heavy loss at their first game of the 2013 season.

However, the game was the first match ever for about a third of the new squad due to a successful intake of new players this year.

Harlequin Rugby Club won 90-0 against the Chargers at Box Hill on Saturday, according to the winning team.

Chargers president Sam Minter was not at the game but he said there were some good points to take away from the match.

He said he was pleased nobody in the 25-strong squad was injured and for eight players on the new squad, it was their first game ever.

“The first game of rugby is obviously a very, very steep learning curve but they all had fun,” he said.

“Everyone had a lot of fun, everybody is in good spirits, nobody got injured, nobody got hurt. It was a heavy loss but we expected that putting so many new guys on the pitch.

“The good thing for us was we were able to put a 20-25 man squad up and that puts us in a good position, growing the team and looking forward to Bingham [Cup] next year.”

Minter said it was the first step in a long journey towards next year’s Bingham Cup tournament.

The Bingham Cup, an international gay rugby tournament, will be held in Sydney next year. The Sydney Convicts won the tournament in 2012, although the Chargers fielded their first team at last year’s competition in Manchester, UK.

 INFO: www.melbournechargers.org

© Star Observer 2018 | For the latest in lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* and intersex (LGBTI) news in Australia, be sure to visit starobserver.com.au daily. You can also read our latest magazines or Join us on our Facebook page and Twitter feed.